Monday, May 14, 2012

Blargh: I Am Dead

For some reason, I am reminded of a line from the film Dr. Doolittle (no, unfortunately, not the original with Rex "okay girls, time for a big sigh" Harrison). Remember the one with Eddie Murphy? Yeah, that one. I liked it!

The line was said from the mouth of a tiger (voiced by A. Brooks -- who you may remember as a clown fish searching for his son in one of my favorite Disney flicks), and it went something like this: 

"Every moment you're gone, I'm one minute closer to death! I might just hang myself by my underpants...! I can get underpants... Not really..."

Not sure why, but my friends and I used to repeat this line over and over and just laugh and laugh. It must have been the poor tiger's voice when he said the words, "not really..." He was so upset that he had no way out and couldn't even get some darn underwear!

Well, I still chortle so when I hear the line, but, now it means something else to me. It is no longer just a way to pass into nostalgia comfortably and remember fun times as a child. Now, it also confirms to me that sometimes, the most insignificant things can elude us.

Over-dramatic? Perhaps.

Anyway, I'm in the midst of reading The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty. Oh, you've seen the movie? Fantastic. Great, great movie. Dialogue was spot on (even the "Beautiful horse, Mom. Oh, he was graaayyyy..." You don't say?), cinematography was..."beautiful," and the directing was borderline genius. It just gave a feeling of uneasiness and dread.

The book does, too.

Blatty writes in disjointed, misstructured (I just invented a word!) sentences that make the reader feel uncomfortable. For instance: "She moved into the kitchen. Dark. Knobby legs. A corset on the floor." It's not an exact quote, but it's close. It's a great book that I highly recommend.

Although Blatty can be a bit dramatic with his sentences -- for example when he describes two headlights of a train as a "guide for hopelessness" -- but, if you ask me, the man has some freaking talent!

Pick it up. It's great. Then finish it. After, pick up mine. Read it. Love it.

(See, makes you feel ookie, huh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment