Monday, July 2, 2012

This Brave New World with Such Characters in it!

So, I was recently asked where I come up with ideas for characters. Well, they come from a lot of places. Mainly, my own head. Ha! 

But, seriously... I have the following characters in my current series, The Death series:

Katie Bunny, Martin Krane, Sherry Raymond, Kevin Carter, John Gray, Julian, Irish Moses, Mandy, Wizzlespoons, Mary and Stan Bunny, Serena Gibbons, Sam Preston... 

As you see, the list goes on. Obviously, Katie--being the main character--is very near and dear to me. How did I come up with her? She's me. She's me when I was sixteen. I don't have any pictures (nor do I wish I did), so have this one.

I am so obviously NOT sixteen
And all the other characters are based on people I knew from that time in my life. Well, all except Martin Krane. Martin is completely my own creation. He actually has a nice little back-story that can be traced. 

Ever heard of the show Martin Mystery? No, here's a synopsis:

"Martin Mystery is a dripping goo-fest of slime, thrills and comedy, starring Martin and Diana: two mismatched teenagers with hilariously opposite personalities on a mission to investigate the weirdest paranormal enigmas and the slimiest creatures from beyond. Commissioned by 'The Center' - an undercover bureau specializing in mysterious phenomena - and with the help of Java, a massive caveman lost in time, they leap from their average school duties to eerie slime-dripping caves and lairs." -David Michel from IMDB.

It was one of those pseudo-anime shows that came out of Switzerland... Or France... I don't remember which. I was a huge fan--watched the damn thing religiously. Why? I don't know! Maybe it was the paranormal aspects. Maybe it was the ongoing war between Martin and Diana. Maybe it was the fact that I followed the voice actor, Sam Vincent, wherever he went (whether it was his portrayal of geeky Edd from Ed, Edd, n Eddy, or his voice from Gundam, or being an extra on Fringe--yeah, I just about died with that one). OR... It TOTALLY could have been the way they drew his cute face:

Does HE look sixteen? No, I don't think so.
He is cute. I don't care what you say. Now, Martin started off as my after-school best friend. He always knew how to make me laugh. When I started writing FanFiction with a friend at sixteen, he always made it into my stories. It didn't matter what they were about; Martin was always there. 

But because Martin was so young, I didn't have a place for him in my adult novels, the A Cure series. So, for a long time, he went unnoticed. But, when I started writing The Death of Me, the first name that popped into my head was his. Now, just a surname change and voila, my Martin won his place into my book and back into my heart. I love you, Martin. 

Oh, and just because I liked captioning pictures in this post, here's another super adorable actor guy that I watched in I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK:

Oh, isn't he just SO cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment