Tuesday, March 5, 2013

All the World's a Dive Bar!

That's a bit dramatic, isn't it?

It's true, though. As I sit here at the small bar of my local pub, I think, "We are all just patrons in the bar of life."

I'm just "waxing philosophic" here. I don't really mean it. For real. I'm just sitting here waiting for my meatball sub and salad. I like this bar. It's nice, quiet, has good food. And I can sit here and write whenever and whatever I want. 

I do believe, however, that all the world's a stage and we are all just players. We all have our roles and such. My role is to write on the side while I pursue a job which will allow me to eat and live. Trust me, if I could live off my writing, I'd live in a studio apartment in the middle of Alaska. 

Ooh... That sounds enticing.

Anyway, I have been writing since I was very young. I'm talking nine years old. Kind of like Ayn Rand. I just one day "decided" that I was going to write. I started with a tiny story about a T-Rex who had no friends when I was in first grade. Drew the pictures myself and everything. Of course, from there it just took off. I was writing and reading all the time. 

When I started seriously pursuing it about five years ago, I realized I learned the ins and outs pretty quickly. Almost everything came second nature to me. So, when I sat down and started writing The Death of Me, I never realized it'd become my baby. 

After two years, eight revisions, 200+ queries, and one self-publishing platform, the book is finally out. I even designed my own cover! 

I published on CreateSpace just two weeks ago, and two promos later, the book has been downloaded over 1,000 times. I seem to be keeping steady at selling about one book a day via Kindle. I'm not doing a lot of promotion, however. But I'm sure if I got into it, I'd get my name out there pretty quickly!

So, that being said, what's your role on this stage we call life?

No comments:

Post a Comment